California Trucking Accident Attorney
The Relentless Pursuit of Justice
Accidents caused by large trucks are overwhelming and stressful at best, traumatic and deadly at worst. Many of these tragedies could be prevented and represented by a California trucking accident attorney with an emphasis on stricter regulations, higher-quality manufacturing, and an overall focus on safety.
For instance, many professional truck drivers are pressed to make deliveries while adhering to strict deadlines. This can lead to truck driver fatigue and the careless, reckless driving of machines that weigh more than 20 times the vehicles driving adjacent to them.
Drivers are not always at fault in these cases, however. Sometimes trucking companies neglect to complete routine inspections and provide regular maintenance failing to comply with truck inspection and regulation safety. Trucks leave the yards with faulty brakes, poorly functioning lights, and inadequate tires.
These are just a few factors that make highways more dangerous. Although it would be ideal to eliminate all trucking accidents, they are unavoidable. Anyone who has been physically or emotionally injured as a result of such a circumstance with a truck or bus should immediately get in touch with our renowned trucking accident lawyers in California and consider the following:
- Get immediate medical attention. Injuries are not always apparent as soon as they are inflicted. It is imperative to receive medical attention even when it doesn’t seem necessary. Documentation by a medical professional is also pertinent to future legal cases.
- Report the incident to police as soon as possible. The police may be able to file charges if the truck driver is under the influence of alcohol or other drugs, or if any other crimes were committed. Police reports will also be required by insurance companies and the courts when attempting to secure financial compensation.
- Collect witnesses’ contact information. Anyone who witnessed the incident may be able to support a future personal injury case. Document names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of anyone in the area at the time of the accident.
- Take photos. Although the police will likely take photos and collect other evidence of the incident, personal photographs may be beneficial as well. Take pictures of all vehicles from multiple angles, including tire tracks, broken lights, and other debris in the area.
- Keep conversation light. It is acceptable to check on the physical well-being of others involved in the accident. Keep in mind, however, that any in-depth conversation should be avoided. This will minimize the likelihood of uttering anything that will harm a future legal case.
- Call the insurance company and an experienced personal injury lawyer. The victim’s insurance agent can initiate the claim process immediately, and a California trucking accident lawyer who can begin investigating whether the accident was a result of negligence and if the victim is deserving of compensation from the trucker or the trucking company.
Victims of trucking accidents in California, and their families, may be eligible to receive financial compensation for resulting injuries. There are certain criteria that must be met, however. The plaintiff, for example, must prove the injury was a direct result of the trucking accident. Proof that the opposing party was acting negligently must also be provided.
Truck Accident Statistics
- In 2014, there were 3,903 people killed and 111,000 people injured by large trucks.
- Most fatalities and injuries occurred in occupants of the other vehicles involved, 73% and 74% respectively.
- 95% of fatal truck crashes took place outside of work zones.
- 61% of the fatal crashes involving large trucks happened in rural areas and only 26% on urban highways.
- 79% of fatal truck crashes occurred on weekdays and of those, 71% happened during daytime hours.
- Between 2009-2013, California alone averaged 265 fatalities and 7248 injuries due to large truck accidents.
Getting Help With a Trucking Accident Attorney in California
Proving the opposing parties negligence can be a challenging task – and court can be an intimidating place, particularly when recovering from the emotional and physical turmoil of the incident itself. It is critical to retain a qualified and empathetic California trucking accident attorney to provide guidance throughout the legal process. Contact us online or Call (877) 800-1700 to speak with a professional from Panish | Shea | Ravipudi LLP for a consultation today.