California Bus Accident Attorneys
In the United States, buses travel millions of miles per day and transport millions of passengers. They may transport children to and from school, cycle through cities and suburban areas, or cross the country itself. And they are extremely effective at what they do. For example, school buses alone keep an annual estimated 17.3 million cars off the road during school transportation hours for a nation savings of 2.3 billion gallons of fuel, $6.0 billion dollars, and 44.6 billion pounds of CO2.
Unfortunately however, accidents involving buses are not uncommon, and they may be caused by a variety of factors. Some are due to poor bus maintenance, inclement weather, careless driving, damaged roads and streets, and fatigued drivers. Other circumstances are even facilitated by passengers on the buses who are aggressive or otherwise problematic to the security of the vehicle. If you were to find yourself a victim of such situation, you want the help of the California bus accident attorneys from Panish, Shea & Boyle by your side.
Bus Accident Facts and Statistics
- A bus is defined as any motor vehicle designed primarily to transport nine or more people, including the driver.
- A 2010 study found that between 1999-2005, about 63,000 buses (of all kinds) are involved in accidents every year, 14,000 result in an injured person, and 325 result in a fatality.
- From 2005-2014, there were 1332 people killed in school transportation related crashes, or an average of 133 fatalities per year. Of these deaths, 71% were occupants of the other vehicle involved.
- From 2004 to 2014, intercity buses accounted for 13 percent of all buses involved in fatal crashes while school buses and transit buses accounted for 41 percent and 33 percent, respectively.
- A 2012 study found that 83% of bus drivers involved in accidents do not exhibit risky behavior.
Bus Accident Injuries
As can be seen above, the results of bus accidents can be catastrophic. They range from damaged property, to physical injury, to death. The most frequently reported injuries caused by bus accidents include broken bones, spinal cord injuries, burns, and head trauma. All of these injuries, compounded with psychological trauma, inevitably lead to lost earnings, medical bills, and therapies. Everyone victimized in bus accidents deserves just compensation for these matters – whether harmed as a passenger, pedestrian, traveler in a separate vehicle, or even as the actual bus operator.
It is advisable to work with a bus accident lawyer from California with knowledge about the laws pertaining to bus accidents. This will ensure a thorough investigation of the incident, meticulous case documentation and preparation, careful strategy, and aggressive pursuit in court. When managing the turmoil stemming from a bus accident, most victims are unable to even contemplate these tasks. An experienced bus accident attorney can do so, however – with sensitivity and empathy for the victims.
When searching for a competent and reliable attorney, ask the following questions during consultation:
- How much experience do you have in the field of personal injury law? There are many different branches of law, and not every lawyer will have the expertise necessary to pursue a case involving a bus accident.
- Have you handled cases specific to bus accidents? Experience with personal injury law is helpful, but it is optimal if the attorney has handled cases specifically involving bus accidents.
- What were the outcomes of these cases? A history of handling cases specific to bus accidents is useful, but only if a generous portion of them were resolved in favor of the victims.
- What is your knowledge of private and public bus entities? Although legal action can be brought against any bus company, strategy and possible outcomes will depend on the types of companies involved. Public transportation entities, for instance, may be protected in some way due to a certain level of government immunity.
- How will fees be assessed? Most personal injury lawyers do not request payment until an award has been issued. Detailed information regarding rates should be provided to the client at the onset of the working relationship, however.
Getting Help With a Bus Accident Lawyer in California
In addition to these considerations, it is also helpful to ask California bus accident lawyer about the anticipated progress of the case. No one can predict a definitive outcome, but an experienced professional should be able to suggest a strategic plan of action and offer an opinion of the solidity of a case after a review of relevant documentation. Furthermore, an experienced legal expert can help victims of bus accidents establish the primary components of personal injury cases – the fact that certain injuries were caused by the accidents in question, and that the accidents in question were direct results of negligence.
For this type of legal and professional excellence, contact Panish,Shea & Boyle LLP on 877.800.1700 today.