California Jackknife Accident Attorneys
Tractor-trailers are subject to jackknifing when not handled properly. During an accident of this type, the trailer becomes separated from the cab. Drivers unaware of the obstruction or nearby when it occurs may sustain injuries, damage to their vehicle or loss of life. When a jackknife accident takes place as a result of neglect or irresponsible driving, the victims are eligible to pursue compensation. Our team of California jackknife accident attorneys want to get you the compensation you deserve.
What are the Risk Factors for Jackknife Accidents?
The most common direct cause of jackknifing is poor traction between the wheel and the road. Though a jackknife accident can occur for many reasons, four causative factors have been identified that can significantly contribute to this event:
- Trucks & Speeding Negligent Driving. Commercial truck drivers are often operating under tight deadlines, which result in wage loss or other penalties if missed. Whether running behind schedule or attempting to head home early, speeding truck drivers are more likely to jackknife their rig.
- Inclement weather. As many commercial truck drivers travel long distances, driving adjustments must be made for inclement weather. Between snow, sleet, rain and hail, changing weather patterns can interfere with wheel traction, which often leads to jackknifing.
- Curving roads. When roads curve, wind and meander across the terrain, commercial trucks become more difficult to maneuver. Without formal training and experience navigating winding roads, drivers may jackknife their truck while obstructing traffic patterns.
- Poor braking. Brakes that are poorly maintained will not function properly when engaged. This dangerous predicament may result in detachment of the trailer, placing drivers, passengers and pedestrians at risk for serious injury.
What to Do After a Jackknife Accident?
Upon receiving medical treatment, the next step is seeking legal counsel with experience in personal injury and commercial truck accidents. At Panish, Shea & Boyle we have an experienced team of jackknife accident lawyers in California. Without legal help, attempting to recover losses directly from the owner or business may prove unsuccessful and frustrating. Our team of professional jackknife accident attorneys regularly urge those involved in a commercial truck accident to retain legal counsel as soon as possible. Take the following simple steps to begin your case:
- Document details and gather paperwork. Developing a personal injury case against a business requires an in-depth review of the circumstances surrounding your accident. Gathering accident-related paperwork and documenting facts is your first step before contacting an attorney.
- Schedule a free consultation. In most cases, a free consultation is enough to provide you with the information needed to proceed with your case. Depending on the details of your claim, you may qualify for above-average compensation.
- Meet with an attorney dedicated to winning your case. It’s important to know a dedicated attorney and team of legal professionals are in charge of your case. Choose an attorney with a proven record of winning similar cases who will take the time to walk you through each step of the process.
Get Help: California Jackknife Accident Lawyer
After sustaining injuries or property damage from a jackknife accident, obtaining legal representation should be a priority. When legal counsel is sought promptly after an accident, the chances of winning your case greatly increase. At Panish, Shea and Boyle, we help accident victims recover compensation for damages and loss. For a free consultation, contact us today at 877-800-1700.